My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.fumbledreturns.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 11, 2010

There is nothing amateur about sports

OK lets clear this up, Televised Sports today is no longer considered amateur sports.

Rather it is strictly a professional business which in reality is all about the money, and the prestige, and national fame.

To say otherwise is a lie.

I have to say, my first reaction to the USC punishment is nya, nya serves you right.

But then thinking about it more, I realize that the people that punishment is supposed to be about, are no longer there.

And, those affected, were not there at the university either. In fact, today's players, were in high school. Perhaps the last truly scholastic amateur sports venue left.

So now we have these sanctions levied against an institution for shame on you behavior. Yet at the same time, we have Paul Dee, chair of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions, saying that college athletics "should be motivated primarily by education and its benefits, and not otherwise."

B.S.

Does anyone believe the recent efforts toward conference realignment are motivated by education? How about educating us on the "Pacific" qualities of Colorado? Or on the mathematical logic of a 12-team Big Ten Conference?

It is all about the money and the television rights and the colleges exploiting athletes along the way.

If it is to be about the virtues of education, then take money out of the equation. But we all know that is not going to happen. And it is about so much more than just the universities, and sports, and the athletes. It is also about TV, commercials, sponsorships, advertising, and so on.

Heck, just look at how sport scholarships are handed out. The most go to the biggest schools in the biggest divisions with the most marketability.

I remember when I was in college, I took an elective course titled "Ethics and Business".

My dad laughed and said there is none.

I'm beginning to think the same way about the NCAA and college sports.

1 comments:

That Damn Sam June 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

NCAA Division 1 football does not have a national playoff tournament because of the mighty dollar(s). And more meaningless bowl games keep getting added to the mix, but it's not about the money. The part that angers me is the talking heads say they do not want to break the college tradition of bowl games - and expect everyone to believe it. Oh, and a football playoff system would interfere with the student athletes' academic studies. And the NCAA basketball tournament doesn't? I'm glad it's not about the money.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Commentators

Widget by Blogger Tutorials

Fan Blogs

Links

Stocks Blog Directory Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online BittyBrowser Add to My AOL Convert RSS to PDF Add to Technorati Favorites! Add to netvibes My Zimbio
Top Stories
Review fumbledreturns.blogspot.com on alexa.com

First and Ten

Popular Posts Widget

Awards

Awards

Labels

About

My photo
It's all about two of my three favorite things! Sports and Stocks!

Visitors

My Blog Rankings !

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP