My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.fumbledreturns.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Fundamentals....

Ok, so the other half of this blog topic is Fantasy Football.
Over the years I have done reasonably well in my leagues.

I've also come to realize that there are some similarities between Football and Investing.

Prepare for the unexpected - Anything can happen.
Strive for a good mix of youth, talent, and experience.
Stick to the plan but don't be afraid to take risks.
And remember good basic fundamentals.

This past year I:
Came up with a plan...
Fell victim to not sticking with the plan and followed the crowd.
Went for a mix of young talent, and veteran experience...
Took a chance...
And shook my head in disbelief at some truly incredible bone-head plays...
And still managed to make it into the playoffs.

Some highlights of the season:

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN:
> Only two running backs in the entire NFL have 'turf toe' and they are BOTH on my team. I kept one (because even when injured, LT is pretty good)









STICK WITH THE PLAN:
> I had Adrian Peterson at the top of my draft list.
He was great on my 2007 team. But wouldn't you know it, I got 1st pick! (I never get first pick never before in my whole entire life)
So, do I say "Great now I get my first choice!"
No, I toss my "plan" out the window and picked who most everyone else in the world would pick and chose LT. (See Turf Toe listed above).

TAKE A CHANCE:
> When Tom Brady (no I did not draft him) went down I figured Matt Cassel had too good a team around him. Besides he had a pretty good organization believing in him.








REMEMBER THE FUNDAMENTALS:
> One of the young talent picks I drafted did well over-all this season. He had some good kick returns, good receptions but still needed a reminder on the "you have to actually carry the ball across the goal line to score the 6 points!" lesson.







And who did I end up with on my team?
Well this is how my roster ended up...
QB Matt Cassel, NE
RB Jonathan Stewart, Car
RB Chris Johnson, Ten
RB/WR LaDainian Tomlinson, SD
WR DeSean Jackson, Phi
WR Donnie Avery, StL
WR/TE Devin Hester, Chi
TE Chris Cooley, Was
D/ST Steelers
K Rian Lindell, Buf

Bench
Santonio Holmes, Pit WR
Chad Pennington, Mia
Panthers D/ST, Car
Clifton Smith, TB RB
Ricky Williams, Mia RB
Derek Stanley*, StL WR
Shaun Hill, SF QB

5 comments:

Gimpdiggity January 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM  

That's a pretty wicked team you had right there.

I lucked out and got DeAngelo Williams in my draft. He almost single handedly carried me to a Championship in a CBS Sportsline league. The guy was amazing for fantasy owners this year.

In one of the leagues that I was in, I saw for the first time in my 8 years or so of fantasy football, one team go undefeated for the entire season and win the championship. He wasn't even CLOSE to being contested. Won most of the games by at least 25 points. Amazing.

I love fantasy football...and now I'll be bored online again until next August or so...


Jeff

Doug January 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Now that I look back, DeAngelo was on the winning team in both my leagues this year.

Gimpdiggity January 20, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

Yah, he was definitely a difference maker this year...for his real team and for fantasy teams...

One game I was watching him play in, I had to run to the store and when I left he had like 4 points. When I returned about 30 minutes later he had run for another 130 yards and 2 scores. Amazing.

Dave Miller January 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Doug, thanks for stopping by. My fantasy team finished third this year, victimized by sub par years from sone key receivers (TO and Moss).

Oh well, there is always next year.

Peace.

Unknown February 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Doug, thanks for stopping by my page. It is definately a work in progress. I noticed you have two StL recievers on your team. Do you do this often? I have just recieved Brandon Marshall in trade and I already had Eddie Royal and I plan on starting them both. I worry about Cutler getting hurt and/or blowing a game and making two of my recievers worthless as opposed to just one. Enjoy the game tonight! Go STEELERS!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Commentators

Widget by Blogger Tutorials

Fan Blogs

Links

Stocks Blog Directory Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online BittyBrowser Add to My AOL Convert RSS to PDF Add to Technorati Favorites! Add to netvibes My Zimbio
Top Stories
Review fumbledreturns.blogspot.com on alexa.com

First and Ten

Popular Posts Widget

Awards

Awards

Labels

About

My photo
It's all about two of my three favorite things! Sports and Stocks!

Visitors

My Blog Rankings !

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP