My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.fumbledreturns.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Idle Ramblings...

OK, so I was bored and idly surfing digg.com random selections.
I actually kind of like Digg.com for researching new, up and coming stories, and filtering content on my particular interests.

Well, this is what my idle random clicks came up with for this week.

A creative beggar...

















Economic truth and consequences...
















Elvis Grbac: Not as sexy as initially indicated...From Jeff Pearlman












One of my favorite all-time stories is about Elvis Grbac (left), Rich Gannon (right) and People Magazine’s Sexiest Men issue from 1998. It is both outlandish and 100-percent true.

Back in the day I knew many People staffers, and they were all cool, fun, intelligent—and woefully ignorant about sports. Every year, in planning the Sexiest Men issue, People’s editors would ask a bunch of us at Sports Illustrated for suggestions and insight. In 1998, for a reason I’ll never understand, they decided not to seek out help.

The magazine chose Rich Gannon as its Sexiest Athlete. At the time, Gannon was a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. Still a couple of seasons removed from his golden tenure with the Raiders, Gannon was 33, handsome and likable. In other words, a solid choice. Yet People, being People, simply informed the photographer assigned to the piece that the Sexiest Athlete was the Chiefs’ quarterback. Hence, he took pictures of the Chiefs’ quarterback. Well, one of the Chiefs’ quarterbacks: Elvis Grbac.

Yup.

The pictures made their way back to the New York offices, and editors were dumbfounded. This was their Sexiest Athlete? Yet upon learning the truth, no one with the magazine had the heart (guts?) to tell Grbac that an unfathomable mistake had been made. As a result, Elvis Grbac reigns as People’s 1998 Sexiest Athlete.

The article’s final line says it all: “His personality makes him sexy.”

Amen.


And a title that is funny, even if the article is not...

Texting Teen Falls Down Manhole















An interesting but, in my opinion, somewhat useless, ad campaign...

86-RedSox-Victoria-Secret






















Roller Skating taken to new heights...




Is this Mr. Stick or a member from a distant branch of the family...






And one I found a couple weeks ago all by myself... (sort of)...

So, You think it is easy to just stand up there and give a weather report...
A couple of inept Penguins prove otherwise...



1 comments:

Gimpdiggity July 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

Elvis Grbac thing is funny.

Video about roller skating has been taken down.

Good post Doug. I might have to start checking out this digg site!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Commentators

Widget by Blogger Tutorials

Fan Blogs

Links

Stocks Blog Directory Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online BittyBrowser Add to My AOL Convert RSS to PDF Add to Technorati Favorites! Add to netvibes My Zimbio
Top Stories
Review fumbledreturns.blogspot.com on alexa.com

First and Ten

Popular Posts Widget

Awards

Awards

Labels

About

My photo
It's all about two of my three favorite things! Sports and Stocks!

Visitors

My Blog Rankings !

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP