My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.fumbledreturns.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Picks and Pans

My stock watch lists had a lot of speculative stocks this month, more than usual. Speculative stocks are riskier investments and their price fluctuations are usually more volatile. My results so far reflect just that.

Here are a couple examples:

EMAN
This company produces diodes and other optic and electronic parts that are necessary for the latest and greatest tech/AV craze – 3D! Its stock was on a rocket ride recently and like many fast flyers ran out of fuel and fell almost as quickly.

GENT
A Biotech/Pharm company that has posted good profits and expects positive cash flow for 2010; which is always a good thing. They are also looking for FDA approval to market products in the US.


















Looking at the patterns, GENT (although more volatile in price fluctuations) is actually the stronger pattern. GENT was in a good pendant (or triangle) pattern with progressively increasing high price points and (higher) low price points.

At the beginning of the month, EMAN, was still performing strong with good momentum, money flow and relative strength. But as you can see, that trend broke. Rather suddenly.

Unfortunately I invested in both.
Fortunately I had a stop loss (sell point) set on EMAN which limited my losses.
Unfortunately, (because I have a real job and am not a day trader and needed to wait for funds to clear) the stop loss did not kick in right away and I was a couple days later than I would have liked.
Fortunately GENT was still in its strong pattern and I was able to recoup most of my losses.

So, the end result is…

My first investment of GENT is up well over 30%.
My attempt at a quick hit on EMAN resulted in about a 17% loss.
My reinvestment added back into GENT recovered most of that 17% back.

End result, about 15% profit for the first 2 weeks of April. Not bad, could have been better, but could have been a lot worse.

It is hard to tell, but it looks as though GENT might be leveling off now in strength and price patterns so, I’m taking my profits and looking for another stock play to round out my 2nd half of April investing.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Commentators

Widget by Blogger Tutorials

Fan Blogs

Links

Stocks Blog Directory Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online BittyBrowser Add to My AOL Convert RSS to PDF Add to Technorati Favorites! Add to netvibes My Zimbio
Top Stories
Review fumbledreturns.blogspot.com on alexa.com

First and Ten

Popular Posts Widget

Awards

Awards

Labels

About

My photo
It's all about two of my three favorite things! Sports and Stocks!

Visitors

My Blog Rankings !

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP